VOLUME 116, ISSUE 2, P558-565
Na Chen, M.D., Hongxin Pan, M.D., Guangnan Luo, B.S., Ping Wang, M.D., Zhenwei Xie, M.D., Keqin Hua, M.D., Xiping Luo, M.S., Xianghua Huang, Ph.D., Qing Liu, M.S., Liying Sun, B.S., Weiping Hu, M.S., Guangshi Tao, M.D., Sen Zhao, B.S., Nan Wu, M.D., Lan Zhu, M.D.
To reveal the proportion of concomitant extragenital malformations in a large cohort of Chinese patients with Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser (MRKH) syndrome.
Tertiary teaching hospitals in China.
A total of 1,055 Chinese Han women with MRKH syndrome diagnosed and treated at 11 Chinese tertiary teaching hospitals from January 2015 to January 2020.
Karyotype analysis, hormone profiling, pelvic ultrasonography, spinal roentgenograms, urologic ultrasonography, and Chinese female reproductive tract malformation registry platform (https://ecrf.linklab.com/
Main Outcome Measure(s)
Patients’ demographic and clinical characteristics, concurrent malformations, and family histories.
Of the 1,055 Chinese Han patients with MRKH, 69.6% had type I MRKH syndrome and the remaining 30.4% had type II MRKH syndrome. Among the type II patients, 12.6% had müllerian duct aplasia, unilateral renal aplasia/ectopic kidney, and cervicothoracic somite dysplasia association. Skeletal malformations were the most common associated extragenital malformations in the study (22.0%, 232/1,055), of which idiopathic scoliosis and congenital vertebral malformations were the 2 main skeletal malformations (80.6% and 14.2%, respectively). Renal malformations were the second-highest associated extragenital malformations (9.7%, 102/1,055), with unilateral renal agenesis and ectopic kidney being the most common renal malformations (48.0% and 22.5%, respectively).
Type II disease was less common among Chinese patients with MRKH syndrome compared with European patients. Skeletal malformations were more common extragenital malformations than renal malformations in our cohort.