Embryo aneuploidy is not impacted by selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor exposure

Exposure to selective serotonin inhibitors does not increase the probability of embryo aneuploidy.

Like Comment

Volume 108, Issue 6, Pages 973–979

Authors:

Carlos Hernandez-Nieto, M.D., Joseph Lee, B.A., Taraneh Nazem, M.D., Dmitry Gounko, M.A., Alan Copperman, M.D., Benjamin Sandler, M.D.

Abstract:

Objective

To study whether maternal exposure to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) has any influence on rates of blastocyst aneuploidy and/or in vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle outcomes.

Design

Retrospective cohort analysis.

Setting

Private and academic IVF center.

Patient(s)

Patients who underwent IVF with preimplantation genetic treatment with trophectoderm biopsy (n = 4,355 cycles) and patients who underwent a single-embryo transfer (SET) between January-2012 and June-2017 (n = 2,132 cycles).

Intervention(s)

Comprehensive chromosome screening and euploid SET.

Main Outcome Measure(s)

Odds of embryo aneuploidy.

Result(s)

Of 19,464 embryos analyzed, 3.9% (n = 743) were exposed to a SSRI, and the remaining 96.1% (n = 18,721) were not. The embryo euploid rate was 52.1%, and the aneuploid rate was 42.5%; 5.4% of the reports were inconclusive. No differences were found in clinical and IVF characteristics among the cohorts. After controlling for cofounders, there was no statistically significant associations between exposure to SSRIs and the odds of aneuploidy (adjusted odds ratio [OR] 0.04; 95% confidence interval [CI], −0.04–0.09). In a subanalysis including 2,132 thawed SET cycles, no differences were observed in implantation rate (71.3% vs. 70.1%; OR 0.60; 95% CI, 0.60–1.47), clinical pregnancy rate (58.2% vs. 59.7%; OR 0.70; 95% CI, 0.70–1.61), loss rate (18.5% vs. 11.49%; OR 1.54; 95% CI, 0.94–2.54), or multiple pregnancy rate (0.6% vs. 0; OR 0.7; 95% CI, 0.02–7.32) between cohorts.

Conclusion(s)

Patients exposed to SSRIs in vivo are not susceptible to an increased rate of embryo aneuploidy in IVF. The IVF outcomes of patients exposed to SSRIs do not differ from those of unexposed patients.


Read the full text here.


Fertility and Sterility

Editorial Office, American Society for Reproductive Medicine

Fertility and Sterility® is an international journal for obstetricians, gynecologists, reproductive endocrinologists, urologists, basic scientists and others who treat and investigate problems of infertility and human reproductive disorders. The journal publishes juried original scientific articles in clinical and laboratory research relevant to reproductive endocrinology, urology, andrology, physiology, immunology, genetics, contraception, and menopause. Fertility and Sterility® encourages and supports meaningful basic and clinical research, and facilitates and promotes excellence in professional education, in the field of reproductive medicine.

No comments yet.