Uterus transplantation from a deceased donor
We have demonstrated uterus retrieval, perfusion, and transplantation technique from a deceased donor in a 3D animation model.
Original Video Article
Omer Ozkan, M.D., Munire Erman Akar, M.D., Okan Erdogan, M.D., Ozlenen Ozkan, M.D., Necmiye Hadimioglu, M.D.Akdeniz University Hospital, Antalya, Turkey
To demonstrate the technique for uterus retrieval and transplantation from a multiorgan donor.
Video presentation of our case report. The video uses animation to demonstrate the technique. Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval was obtained.
A 21-year-old woman with complete müllerian agenesis.
Uterus allotransplantation has been performed from a deceased donor.
Main Outcome Measures:
Acquirement of cyclic menstrual function.
This video demonstrates the technique for uterus retrieval, perfusion, and transplantation. The recipient patient has been monitored regularly for vascular flow, immunosuppression, and infection control since the operation.
Uterus transplantation requires extensive evaluation of the recipient and donor by an experienced multidisciplinary transplantation team both pre- and postoperatively. It has major risks related to surgery, immunosuppression, and pregnancy. Uterus transplantation might be considered promising only after the birth of a near-term healthy baby.
We are grateful to art director Umut Berk Fen for technical assistance in 3D modeling animation and to creative director Tulin Candemir for editing.
None of the authors have conflict of interest.
- Brinsden PR. Gestational surrogacy. Hum Reprod Update 2003;9:483-91.
- Beski S, Gorgy A, Venkat G, Craft IL, Edmonds K. Gestational surrogacy:a feasible option for patients with Rokitansky syndrome.Hum Reprod. 2000;15:2326-8.
- Siemionow MZ, Kulahci Y, Bozkurt M. Composite tissue allotransplantation. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009;124(6 Suppl):e327-39.
- Racho El-Akouri R, Kurlberg G, Brannstrom M. Succesful uterine transplantation in the mouse pregnancy and postnatal development of offspring. Hum Reprod 2003;18:2018-23.
- Mihara M, Kisu I, Hara H, Iida T, Araki J, Shim T, et al. Uterine autotransplantation in cynomolgus macaques: the first case of pregnancy and delivery. Hum Reprod 2012;27:2332-40.
- Ozkan O, Erman Akar M, Ozkan O, Erdogan O, Hadimioglu N, Yilmaz M, et al. Preliminary results of the first human uterus transplantation from a multiorgan donor. Fertil Steril 2013;99:470-6.
- Del Priore G, Saso S, Meslin EM, Tzakis A, Brännström M, Clarke A, et al. Uterine transplantation–a real possibility? The Indianapolis consensus. Hum Reprod 2012;28:288-91.
- FIGO Committee Report. Uterine transplantation. Int J Gynecol Obstet 2009;106:270.
Read the full text at: http://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(13)00741-3/fulltext